Work With Us
HRFN is hiring a Program Assistant. PDF available here.
Human Rights Funders Network was founded in 1994 by a small group of human rights grantmakers who wanted to share their strategies and what they were learning, discuss field-wide trends, and collaborate. Since those early days, our community has grown into a global network of 1,500 members committed to advancing human rights through effective philanthropy. Our network enables funders from across the broad spectrum of human rights and social justice to share strategies, break down silos, and transform grantmaking practice. With the support of our six-person staff team, HRFN members are exploring new, innovative models to challenge injustice and foster longer term, systemic change.
HRFN is fiscally sponsored by Proteus Fund. Proteus Fund partners with foundations, advocates, and individual donors to advance democracy, human rights, and peace.
HRFN is seeking an organized professional with a passion for using digital platforms and in-person events to build community and foster learning. The program assistant will provide administrative and logistics support for our member engagement programming and support organization-wide planning, strategic learning and operations. This is an entry-level role with great potential for professional growth in the following areas: event planning, data management, and learning, monitoring and evaluation.
Based in New York City, the Program Assistant will report to the Deputy Director and work closely with the Member Engagement Manager.
The Program Assistant will be responsible for:
- Programmatic Support and Event Planning: Support HRFN’s Member Engagement Manager on all planning and logistics for annual conference and other member events/webinars
- Technology: Work with information technology consultants to ensure that our technology and digital platforms are meeting the needs of network members and HRFN staff; Maintain technology guides
- Data Management: Enter data in member database
- Administration and Scheduling: Schedule staff retreats and staff meetings; Handle logistics for teambuilding activities, staff celebrations, social events; Provide administrative support to HRFN’s Deputy Director
Ideal candidates will be:
- Mission-driven: The ideal candidate will be passionate about human rights and social justice and believe in the value of networks in fostering learning and collaboration.
- An adaptable team player: This person will be energized by experimentation, thrive in a close-knit team environment and be enthusiastic about supporting colleagues during intensive work periods and when priorities shift.
- A quick learner with a talent for trouble-shooting: This person enjoys working in small organizations where resources must be used wisely and creatively. They see gaps or unmet needs quickly and develop creative and effective ways to address them.
To be successful in this role, the Program Assistant will need:
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience, ideally in a non-profit setting or event planning capacity
- A bachelor’s degree
- Expertise in using social media and a range of digital platforms such as Zoom, Survey Monkey, Twitter, Mail Chimp, Eventbrite
- Attention to detail and a high degree of personal organization
- Ability to maintain accurate and up-to-date data
- Skilled in Excel, Microsoft Office and Google business suite
- Fluency in Spanish desired
This is a full time exempt (salary position) with a starting salary of $40,000 and a generous benefits package.
Proteus Fund believes excellent performance – individual and team – helps us fulfill our mission of promoting a socially just society and should be recognized. We provide a comprehensive benefit program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performing and dedicated workforce.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, a resume, and short writing sample (1-2 pages) by May 4th, 2018. Please submit materials in PDF format to info@HRFN.org with your name and “HRFN Program Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Proteus Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Proteus Fund believes that one of the great strengths of the community is the rich diversity of its residents and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental handicap, whistleblower status, or any other category protected by state or federal law. Proteus Fund’s policies and practices are to reflect Proteus Fund’s commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.